Friday, February 6, 2009

You can have everything!

Why is that we think we can’t have all we want and then some more? I know it might sound a stupid question for those unimaginably perfect souls who would love to disagree with me. And I am not one who cribs and cries every time something does not go as planned (even though I have done that a couple of times :)) But generally, is it just us or the entire universe that conspires against us for not making an absolutely perfect time last forever? All that crap about happiness and sadness, day and night, joy and sorrow and any other euphemism as being the 2 sides of the same coin, seems to be a whole bunch of pessimistic talk.

There was a ‘era’ when I believed in all of this…. you know, the lose some, gain some, one door closes, another opens... blah blah. It is safe to say that I have probably lost the last remaining faith in these sayings. Today, I don’t know why, but for some reason, I woke up with the thread that I can and will have everything I want to and then some more. That I will not lose anything till I say it’s lost and that door will not close till I want it to close. I know, this probably sounds a bit arrogant, over-confident, overtly ideal etc. etc. etc. But you know what, I have been on both sides of that coin and I can assure you that no side is a place you want to be complacent in. You have to leave the coin to be able to see it shine! I don’t deny the concept of fate or the fact that everything happens for a reason. I am a staunch believer in that. But when it comes to dealings in your own life, whose hold do you want the reins to be in? Fate? Destiny? God? Or your own hands, heart, and brain?

When we think about in terms of something that we can achieve, but would like to see how it goes, by letting it out there and allowing it to be molded in whichever manner, we need to understand that we have already lost it. To expect it to come back to us as how it was destined to be is sheer stupidity. The problem with us is... we don’t want to get the message - the message that we are responsible and totally at fault for whatever we do in life. If you are going to let something ‘happen’ to you, you are again at fault for believing that the happening will turn out the way you want it to. Instead of that, why not do it yourself in the first place? Why wait for that damn door to close before you wish for something else to open. I don’t recall Newton writing any 2nd, 3rd, or 4th law that goes anything like that. Are we so dumb enough to believe that some superior power put us all here so that we can eventually leave it all up to Him to decide for us? Just imagine what He must be going through!! Hope he's not cursing us for our incapacity to understand what He really made us for.

It doesn’t come that easy, I know. There are people who leave everything to the world so that they don’t have to be responsible for what really happens to them (I personally know quite a few of that kind!). Either they are way too smart or just plain cowards. The problem with leaving everything to the world, as per what I have seen, is that you will have no other choice but to accept what comes back to you, whether you like it or not. And the truth is, most of the times you won’t. On the other hand if you take the reins, you know exactly what to expect, what you really want to do about it, where it is headed. Today I decided to have everything I want - in my life, from my life, of my life – and then some. I know it will be difficult initially to get rid of the supposedly ‘altruistic’ attitude that we superficially apply. But I have realized that I exist because I am and that I can do, make, give, have, take and live ‘my’ life.
How about you?

No comments: